70 years of the DUROMATIC pressure cooker from KUHN RIKON
From the Tösstal out into the world
The history of the companyKuhn Rikon begins in the remote Swiss Tösstal, which is dominated by the textile industry. At the end of the 19th century, the Rykon spinning mill became the Kindlimann Rykon metal processing company, which specialized primarily in stoves and cookware. In 1926, the engineer Heinrich Kuhn took over the company. He developed the first aluminum cookware suitable for the newly emerging electric stoves, laying the foundation for the company's success story.
70 years of DUROMATIC
Another milestone was the development of the pressure cooker DUROMATIC, which first came onto the market in 1949. Jacques Kuhn, co-owner and technical director of the company, achieved a remarkable innovation with the combination of spring valve and bayonet lock. His pressure cooker was quieter, more efficient and safer than comparable products on the market up to that point and quickly became the Swiss market leader. The name DUROMATIC soon became a generic term in Switzerland. In specialist shops, customers don't ask for a pressure cooker, but for a DUROMATIC.
Quality from Switzerland
Since then, the product has been continuously improved through new patents and has long since begun its triumphant advance all over the world. The design of the DUROMATIC has been repeatedly adapted to contemporary tastes, but no compromises are made when it comes to technology and quality. Kuhn Rikon attaches great importance to the "SWISS MADE" quality seal. Every DUROMATIC pressure cooker is produced at the production site in Rikon, a small town near Zurich, and never leaves Kuhn Rikon without undergoing a thorough quality check.
Museum-worthy
Around 12 million DUROMATIC pressure cookers have been sold worldwide over the past 70 years, and thanks to their robust quality and the availability of spare parts, many of them are certainly still in use. The pressure cooker with the number 293 from 1949 was still used for cooking until recently, when it found its way back to the Rikon production site as part of a house clearance, where it now stands in the Kuhn Rikon Museum.